Platform-agnostic (Cloud / On-Premise) documentation for Matrix, the Element clients etc. and troubleshooting / getting support.
- Quick Start Guide
- Understanding Your Element Accounts
- Matrix Account Management
- Creating a Matrix Account
- Securing a Matrix Account
- Changing a Matrix Account password
- Recovering a Matrix Account
- Deactivating a Matrix Account
- Reactivating a Matrix Account
- EMS Account Management
- Creating an EMS Account
- Securing an EMS Account
- Changing an EMS Account Password
- Deleting an EMS Account
- Element Web/Desktop Client Settings
- Accessing General Settings
- Appearance Settings
- Notification Settings
- Preference Settings
- Keyboard Settings
- Sidebar Settings
- Voice & Video Settings
- WIP Security & Privacy Settings
- Help & About
- Matrix Rooms
- Understanding Matrix Rooms
- Getting Started: Creating a Room
- WIP Getting Started: Using a Room
- Managing a Room: Room Info
- Managing a Room: Room Settings
- Managing a Room: Advanced Room Management
- Matrix Spaces
- Using the Matrix IRC Bridge
- Using the Matrix IRC Bridge as an End User
- Using the Matrix XMPP Bridge as an End User
- Using the WhatsApp bridge
- Using the Telegram Bridge
- Element Android/iOS Client Settings
- Advanced Administration
Quick Start Guide
EMS Docs version of the Element Quick Start Guide - https://element.io/user-guide
If you are a new user click Create Account to register.
Select where to host your account by choosing a “homeserver”. You can use the custom server options to sign into other Matrix servers by specifying a homeserver URL. This allows you to use Element with an existing Matrix account on a different homeserver.
Click "Edit" to choose your preferred Matrix homeserver if you have one, or host your own.
To learn more about homeservers, please visit matrix.org.
From here, please enter a username, password and email address and click Register.
Alternatively you can register with your existing Github, Google, GitLab, Facebook or Apple account.
Once prompted, please read the Terms and Conditions and click accept.
An email will be sent to your inbox to verify your email address, please follow the steps in the email to complete your registration.
Now you can login
Enter your email or username and password then click sign in / log in. From here you will be taken to Home, where you can start exploring!
Secure backup is an important safeguarding step to take, to ensure you never lose access to your encrypted messages and data.
When setting up your account, a message will appear which prompts you to do so. If you missed the prompt you can set this up from within your security and privacy settings.